location

Durham Public Library
7 Maple Avenue
Durham, CT 06422
860-349-9544

Hours:
10:00am - 9:00pm * Monday through Thursday
10:00am - 5:00pm * Friday and Saturday

blog description

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians."--Monty Python


Thursday, March 10, 2011

STAFF REVIEW - Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Diana's Review:

To me this book was about one woman's search for peace within herself. She is a writer who discovers she is totally unhappy with her life. You could also say she is looking for God, but I thought that it was more that if she found God, she would find peace. She takes a year off to find herself and decides to write a book about her search. (She got an advance from her publisher) She travels to three different places in her search: Italy, because she loves the Italian language; India, because she wants to join an Ashram to meditate (find God); and Indonesia because a yogi had previously told her that she would study with him.
In my opinion this book was hard to get through. I felt like she was having a mid-life crisis and the reader goes through it with her. I felt sorry for her husband, she blindsided him and didn't give their marriage a chance. During her travels I would have to say nothing interesting happens. It is her ruminating about different things, and how they make her feel. I couldn't really connect with the other characters in the book. I did a lot of skimming. Maybe if I was going through a mid-life crisis I would have connected more. The part of the book I found easiest to read was the end when she was in Bali.

I also watched the movie, thinking if I saw the characters come to life I would be more interested. But, no, the characters still didn't interest me. And, as with most books to movie, I felt I had much more insight having read the book. I think some things, especially when she leaves her husband, were not explained well in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before they are published.