location

Durham Public Library
7 Maple Avenue
Durham, CT 06422
860-349-9544

Hours:
10:00am - 9:00pm * Monday through Thursday
10:00am - 5:00pm * Friday and Saturday

blog description

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians."--Monty Python


Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Happy National Poetry Month!

National Poetry Month is a month-long, national celebration of poetry started by the Academy of American Poets in 1996.  To celebrate, DPL BookTalk will feature a different poet each Tuesday in the month of April.

To start us off is Shel Silverstein!

Shel Silverstein was born on September 25, 1930 and began writing and drawing at a young age.  He became a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.

Silverstein's books, which he also illustrated, are a mixture of the sly and the serious, the macabre, and the just plain silly.  His unique imagination and bold brand of humor is beloved by countless adults and children throughout the world.  He died in May 1999.

Some favorites from A Light in the Attic:

ANTEATER
"A genuine anteater,"
The pet man told my dad.
Turned out, it was an aunt eater,
And now my uncle's mad!

OVERDUES
What do I do?
What do I do?
This library book is 42
Years overdue.
I admit that it's mine
But I can't pay the fine--
Should I turn it in
Or hide it again?
What do I do?
What do I do?

THE SITTER
Mrs. McTwitter the baby-sitter,
I think she's a little bit crazy.
She thinks a baby-sitter's supposed
To sit upon the baby.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before they are published.